Sender:
From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 1994 14:28:56 -0600
Bill Fenwick posted:
>>From Tim McIntosh's posting of the WCHA guidelines for PA announcers:
>
>>2. DO NOT ANNOUNCE THE NAMES OF THE REFEREES OF LINESMAN.
>
>Why the hell not?  Does the WCHA wish its officials to be anonymous?  Is the
>league embarrassed by them?  Is this some kind of referee protection program?
>1/2 :-)

I'm not so sure he needed the smiley.  This is the league, after all, that
doesn't have the referees' names on the back of their jerseys. (They did add
numbers this year.)  I have not-so-secretly suspected for a few years now that
they are indeed trying to "protect" the anonymity of the officials, and the
fact that this is in the guidelines seems to confirm it.

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!