Sender:
From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1993 13:42:19 CST
I'm including below today's Minnesota Daily article about the All American
Women's Intercollegiate Ice Hockey Tournament at Mariucci Arena (and National
Hockey Center in St. Cloud) this weekend.  It doesn't include the full list of
teams competing, but they are:
Varsity Teams:              Club Teams:
Harvard                     Univ. of Minnesota
Yale                        Minnesota-Duluth
Brown                       St. Cloud State
Dartmouth                   Minnesota Thoroughbreds
                            (an all-star team of 15-17 yr olds)
This info I got from today's Star-Tribune which has an article about the
tournament and Brown goalie Libby Witchger, who's from Plymouth, Minn.  It also
has the tourney schedule, if anyone in the area wants to check it out.

Headline: @HEAD38 = Women's hockey shoots for respect
Publish Date: 11/12/1993

By Kristine Henry

Staff Reporter

The University Women's Ice Hockey Club wants varsity status and hopes
this weekend's tournament will buttress its cause.

The hockey club currently does much of its own fund raising, although
it is supported in part by student service fees.

The University fully funds varsity teams.

As a varsity team, ``we'd have equal access to the ice,'' said Amy
Woodcock, president of the Girls and Women's Hockey Association and a
forward on the club team. ``Now we have to practice at 11 o'clock at
night.''

But gaining varsity status may might prove difficult.

Woodcock received anonymous phone calls from men asking her why she
wants to play ``a man's game'' and why she is ``stealing ice away
from the men.''

``Obviously we're making them nervous,'' said Woodcock, a graduate
student in sports psychology. ``That's a real immature attitude.''

Ice time is the bottom-line issue, she added.

If the women's club gets varsity status, it would cut into ice time
the University rents in Mariucci Arena for public use.

``There might be an issue of economic liability,'' said McKinley
Boston, director of men's athletics. ``I'm not saying they shouldn't
get the ice time.'' But from an economic standpoint, he added, it
would take longer to pay for the new arena.

The women's hockey debate comes after a history of gender-equity
policy discussions.

Last April, Big Ten schools adopted a policy mandating a 60-40 ratio
of men to women athletes by 1997. The University hasn't reached that
goal.

Adding women's ice hockey would help that goal, but funding might be
a problem. The men's and women's athletic departments have separate
budgets.

The men's budget is about $12 million per year, supported largely by
ticket sales and television contracts.

The women's athletic department has a budget of about $4.4 million
dollars, supported largely by the state.

The University probably wouldn't give more money to the women's
athletic departments even if women's hockey is given varsity status,
said Bob Erickson, senior vice president of Finance and Operations.

But equal opportunities for women in athletics aren't available now,
said Rep. Phyllis Kahn (DFL-Minneapolis).

She and Rep. Mary Jo McGuire (DFL-Falcon Heights) helped organize
this weekend's tournament. They both play ice hockey on a co-ed team.

T.A. Loeffler, who plays center on the club team, said hockey ``gives
women permission to be powerful. ''It also doesn't put women's bodies
on display like swimming and gymnastics do," said Loeffler, the club
president. ``We're not being judged for our bodies, but for our
skill.''

The hockey club will play against women's varsity teams from
Dartmouth, Yale, Harvard and Brown at Mariucci Arena Friday, Saturday
and Sunday.

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]         1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
[log in to unmask]              Ski-U-Mah!!!