Sender:
From:
"Glenn W. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1993 09:07:48 -0500
     I'm surprised that I haven't seen this posted yet, though the game did
finish late because of the NMU/Harvard marathon.  The sad news for Clarkson
fans is that Minnesota beat the Knights by a 2-1 score.  It was close all
the way.  Both teams had their chances, and the Gophers converted more.  The
second period was COMPLETELY dominated by Clarkson, but I'd like to know what
coach Woog told his players afterward in the locker room because they came
out like a new team in the third.  Still, some late Clarkson flurries were
foiled by Newman (who was outstanding in goal).  It was a well deserved win
for Minnesota, and sad to see Clarkson lose after playing well.
     In retrospect I should have turned off the TV sound and listened to
the radio coverage, but in all the excitement it didn't occur to me and I
wound up suffering through the lousy MSC announcers.  I realize that they
had to throw the entire production together at the last minute, and I'm
grateful that they did.  Their pro-Minnesota slant was somewhat annoying,
though, compounded by their mispronunciation of Clarkson names (example:
"Toominen") and general lack of knowledge of eastern hockey (in a between-
periods interview, Maine coach Sean Walsh was asked if Clarkson's first
line was "one of the best lines in your conference."  They are, of course,
not in the same conference).  Early in the third I heard a Minnesota blast
ring loudly off the post and laughed when the announcer proclaimed "save
by Rogles!"  Oh, well, I am grateful that the game was broadcast at all.
Thanks to the Minnesota fans' lobbying, and to our own WCKN for picking up
the feed!
     Congrats and good luck to the Gophers, and also congratulations to the
Golden Knights for their fine season and for giving their fans many bright
spots in a long and difficult winter.

-Glenn