Sender:
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1993 08:32:40 EST
Friday, 29 January 1993, Yost Ice Arena, Ann Arbor MI

UIC           0  0  1 -- 1         8  10  14 -- 32
Michigan      2  5  1 -- 8         9  16  13 -- 38

10:52 M Neaton 7 (Oliver,Stewart) PP
16:49 M Stiver 13 (Roberts,Ouimet)
22:56 M Stewart 11 (Ward)
26:06 M Hilton 8 (Stewart)
32:22 M Stewart 12 (Hilton)
35:57 M Stone 7 (Willis,Sacka)
39:52 M Sacka 4 (Ward,Harlock)
44:19 M Wiseman 6 (Stewart,Neaton) PP
52:31 I MacDonald ? (Bessert,Thibodeau)

Stars: 1-UM Stewart  2-UM Neaton  3-UM Willis

I thought that Michigan's 4-0 win over BGSU earlier in the month was
officiated poorly, but Brent Rutherford hit a new low on Friday.  UIC
threw everything they had at Michigan (fists,feet,sticks,etc.) and B.R.
let it go.  It was flat out embarrasing to see UIC go to these measures.
Keith Instone mentioned that they have a discipline problem, but that
is an understatement.  Unfortunately, the CCHA will probably turn its
head on this one, as always.  I don't have the time or space to get into
everything that went on during this game, but I'll highlight the two
that stand out the most.
  -- After Mike Stone's goal at 35:57, a UIC player took two shots at
Mike with his stick.  The first shot was to the cage, pushing Mike's
helmet up.  The second was directly to the mouth, cutting Mike open.
Of course, this was all OK because Michigan had just scored and B.R.
has no control.  Stone had to go to the lockeroom and receive stitches
so he could continue to play.  The extend of the damage to his teeth
was unkown.
  -- At 48:52, 10-12 seconds after the play was whistled down, both
teams were changing lines when a UIC player blind-sided Michigan's
Mark Ouimet, sending Ouimet to the ice hard (for those of you watching
on PASS, the camera missed this beginning).  This started the biggest
brawl I can remember seeing at Yost.  Eventually, order was restored
after about 10-15 minutes with 6 players being ejected and 54 penalty
minutes handed out.  Of course, B.R. evened things up knowing full well
what started the whole incident.  During the scuffle, UIC players had
to be physically restrained from joining the on-ice festivities, then
restrained from entering the stands!  It looked like a handful of
Flames were going to take on Yost Arena.  At this point, I personally
would have enjoyed seeing the players enter the stands and receive
what they deserved.

All I can say is that many people (including myself) feel that this
incident was premeditated under the direction of UIC coach Larry Pedrie.
The CCHA should at least look into it and take proper action against
Pedrie.  As for Dave Smith's question on why remove Shields after 40:00
of shutout goaltending -- simple, Berenson knew Pedrie's crap tactics
and wasn't about to leave his #1 goaltender out there for Pedrie's
punks to molest.

  John H
  U Mich

Btw, Michigan's Chris Tamer received a 10-minute misconduct for alluding
to B.R.'s sexual practices following the UIC cheap shots on Mike Stone.
The Rutherford school of officiating considers a stick to an open mouth
OK, but a couple of words are worth 10 minutes.