Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1993 01:56:23 EST
Kevin Yetman writes:
>Tonight's Boston Herald reported today that in a division three game last
>night between Assumption College and another division three team that
>Assumption College scored nine goals in a period.

BTW, Assumption is technically DivII, one of 12 DivII teams in the country.
They and the other six members of the Northeast-10 sports conference (which
is not a conference for hockey, the teams play in the ECAC) which play at
the NC$$ level of hockey (except Merrimack) are all DivII.

>This led me to an interesting
>question.  Whats the most goals ever scored by one team in one period?  Is
>this anywhere close to a record?

Well, I've found several cases of teams scoring 9 goals in a period
but not everyone keeps track of this.  On 12/17/72, Minnesota-Duluth did it
against Minnesota (were you at this one too, Carol? :-)).  On 11/23/82, UAA
did it against Wisconsin-Stout (club, I think).  And going back a ways, on
2/8/44, Dartmouth's Dick Rondeau scored 9 in one period against Middlebury
but no listing is given of how many goals Dartmouth scored in that period.
He had 12 in that game but that is not a record...Clarkson's Gene LaBonne
had 13 against Norwich on 2/11/42.

Those last few are not modern-day records.  Dartmouth must have had at least
10 in one of those periods since they scored 30 in the game.  Also pre-
modern, Michigan scored 30 against Eagle River in 1930.  Was that Eagle
River High School? :-)  That game is not listed in Michigan's all-time
results in their guide, but it is listed as a record in the College Hockey
Record Manual.

Just in after a look at the Lowell guide: Lowell scored 11 in the third
period of a 21-3 win against Bryant College on 2/17/79.  And I also see
that Colorado College scored 10 in one period against BU in the 1950 NC$$
Championship Game, no less.  Those look like the DivII and DivI records,
respectively, unless something else comes up (and it probably will).

Anyone getting an idea of just how difficult it can be to track down some
of these records? :-)
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*