Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1993 02:29:12 EST
I did not see it, but there was apparently an article in the Boston Herald
a few days ago regarding the job of head coach at UMass-Amherst which is to
be filled very soon.  UMass intends to start play next season and join
Hockey East in about 2.5 years.  A friend who saw the article said that two
of the (many) people mentioned as having applied for the job are former Bruin
Don Awrey and former RPI coach Mike Addesa.  Some may remember, back a
couple of years ago when Northeastern was looking for a coach and
eventually settled on Ben Smith, Addesa applied and the Northeastern
athletic department was swamped with calls and letters from people on
Addesa's behalf.  I do not know if this is happening at UMass as well.

The stringent requirements listed for the job appear to work against Awrey
and, I suspect, many of the other applicants.  UMass wants someone with a
bachelor's degree and with the "demonstrated ability to develop and
administer a Division I program" (from the ad published by UMass).

The plan is to play mostly JV teams and DivIII teams in 1993-94, to play a
mixture of DivI/III teams in 1994-95 including hosting one game against
each of the eight HE teams, and to join HE for 1995-96 (again, all from the
UMass ad).  This means that freshmen who enter UMass next year would be
juniors by the time the school joins HE.  The school can immediately tell
prospective recruits that yes, you will be playing in HE in 1995.  (Subject
to an evaluation of the state of UMass's program by HE prior to 1995-96,
but I don't believe this will be a problem.)

Reportedly, Shawn Walsh was asked if he had any interest in the job (seems
like he's asked that about any job that opens up) and he said something
like no, he's perfectly happy at Maine.  I was surprised that the reporter
or whoever actually asked this question, because I certainly doubt Walsh
would leave Maine for UMass (although it has to be one of the hottest jobs
in the country).  Anything for a scoop, I guess.  Again, I'm just reporting
the question and answer, I am NOT trying to start a "Shawn to UMass" rumor.

It will be interesting to see who gets the job at UMass.  With the new
rink, the Mullins Convocation Center which holds an est. 8300 for hockey
(largest in the East), UMass's fine academic reputation, and the scenic
campus that is bound to make any recruit fall in love with the place, not
to mention that UMass hockey will be a local hit with the school's outlying
location, I'd think anyone who can would want to apply.  It's a great
opportunity for someone to build a program from the ground up with
everything you need to be successful already there.  I seriously think we
may see UMass make the NC$$ tourney by the year 2000 because right from
the start, they will be taking recruits away from the established programs
in the East due to all of the above factors.

In addition, UMass will have a decided edge in home games because the rink
has two Olympic-sized ice surfaces, and no other school in the East has an
Olympic-sized rink.  It's not listed in the ad, but I wonder if they'll be
looking for a coach who has experience in the European style or in
developing a finesse type of team.

My friend, who is a UMass grad, said he has been by the rink and from the
outside, it looks complete and very beautiful.  It may not be ready inside,
however, as the UMass hoop team still plays at The Cage - the new arena is
scheduled to be shared by both the hoop and hockey teams.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*