Sender:
From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:44:01 -0700
I don’t want to add too much to the referee controversy, but there is an issue that comes up often
that I  seem to see very differently than other people.  There is a style of refereeing that some
refs appear to use, though I doubt that they’d ever admit it.  They call the game closely in the
first and second periods, but loosely in the overtime.  Most people seem to dislike refs doing
that, and see it as a matter of competence.  I see it as a matter of style.  I think the referee’s
job is to maintain control of the game.  If he sets a tone in the first and second period, and the
third period’s close and/or the teams are playing in control, then let ‘em play.  If it starts to
get out of  hand again, then start calling the penalties again.  If, not, then call penalties when
there is (a) prevention of a good scoring opportunity and (b) a dangerous play.  I didn’t think
the overtime play was a scoring opportunity (it was in center ice), but I did think it was a very
dangerous play.  Schutte’s leg was clearly stuck out, and it was not that far from being a knee to
knee.  I thought that the call against Taffe in the third period was for a dangerous play, too.

I was very disappointed in Metcalfe’s statement, even allowing for the disappointment he surely
felt.  He has every right to question the call, but he has NO right to question the man’s
credibility.  Didn’t do their homework?  “Let’s see, this guy kicked Sean Walsh out of a game last
year, so he shouldn’t be allowed to ref this game.”

Clay