Sender:
From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 14:20:49 -0800
<This game [5-4 Maine over LSSU] defined the term "captain" for me. Jim Montgomery refused to let
his team lose. I know Paul gets most of the credit because he was and is a great hockey player. I
love him. But Jim was the captain, he scored the goals, he led by example, he was the captain in
every sense of the word.>

Surely one of the best third periods ever.  And no disrespect to Montgomery (or Ingraham) but I
think Kariya gets the credit because he deserved it.  I believe Kariya  assisted on all three
goals, and I remember one of them as a "thread the needle" pass that only a few players, college
or pro, could have made.

For me it will be two sets of games.  The two BC overtime games; I was there for both, and since I
was cheering for BC, and that’s as bad and as good as you can feel.

The other set are the ones from my youth.  I lived in Colorado Springs, within walking distance of
the World Arena, the site for the first few Frozen Fours.  I knew how to sneak in, and I remember
watching several games in a near empty arena.  There was a REAL East/West rivalry then.

<. . . the resentment of BC seems odd- it is an excellent school with a fine academic reputation
and they do try to recruit local players>

I understand that you were probably replying to person and not to a message, but I'm gonna respond
anyway.  It's called a rivalry.  Did you know that the BU crowd occasionally chants "BC sucks!"
when BU is playing someone else?  I agree with you that BC has a fine academic reputation (like
Cornell) and they have a very good recruiting program; they take good players where they find
them.  Do you know that they started the season with almost as many kids from Minnesota (5) on
their roster as they had kids from Massachusetts (6)?

Clay