Sender:
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 02:03:30 -0500
7bit
From:
Tim Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Bob -- from http://www.azhockey.com/index.html

"Before World War I ice hockey teams had seven players on ice during the
match. One goaltender, two defencemen, three forwards and a player called
the rover. The player had something of a holding role between defence and
attack, with license to fill any gaps that developed in the teams formation.
According to the Trail Of The Stanley Cup - Vol. 1 "The rover played a
position behind the centre and became a forward or defenceman according to
the location of the play or the state of his wind."

I also found a reference that "up until the late-1880's, there used to be 9
players on each side".

Tim