Sender:
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 00:37:51 -0600
7BIT
From:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Eric Burton <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                whither the ECAC?

> > Some ECAC requirements are no more than >cosmetic -- there is no reason on
> earth to go to >an October 15 start date and a total 12 NC >games matching
> the other leagues Let's OK, >make it less expensive, take away the
> self->imposed schedule restrictions, and promote the >strength of the
> schools to death.
>
> I cut some of this post out. Doesn't some of the MAAC schools want to do
> something like that also? I thought I read something to that nature.

I believe the history is that the ECAC wanted to propose something,
figured that an all-sport D1 conference (as the MAAC is) would be a
better vehicle, and convinced them to bring it forward.  Then they
changed their mind and pulled out, but the MAAC is still going ahead
with it.  It's some kind of uniform start date legislation that also
happens to push the start date back one week from when teams currently
start play, and as a consequence of this and the attitude of the MAAC
administration when approached by the other three major conferences
about dropping the proposal or modifying it to be more to their liking,
said major conferences are kinda PO'ed at the MAAC right now.

This is based on at least one story on USCHO, but I don't have a link
handy because I don't remember which one.

--
 Craig Powers                   NU ChE class of '98
 [log in to unmask]       http://lynx.neu.edu/home/httpd/c/cpowers

"Good..bad....I'm the guy with the gun." -- "Ash" in *Army of Darkness*