Sender:
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 22:08:24 -0500
From:
Tom Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Immediate Release:  Feb. 10, 2001
Contact: Tom Nelson, 320-255-2141

St. Cloud State Women Defeat Minnesota, 7-6

St. Cloud, Minn. -- For the first time in team history, the St. Cloud State
University women's hockey team charted a victory against the #2 University
of Minnesota, thanks to a 7-6 decision at the National Hockey Center in St.
Cloud on Feb. 10.
    The Huskies gained the win on the power of first year forward Roxanne
Stang (Princeton), who had a hat trick and the game winning goal at 10:03 of
the second period.  Stang completed the game with a total of four points,
while teammate Fiona McLeod had two goals and one assist.  Ricki-Lee Doyle
added to the Huskies' attack with one goal and three assists on the night.
    Minnesota, which came back from a 7-2 deficit in the game, was led by
Courtney Kennedy with a pair of goals and one assist.  In the nets, SCSU
netminder Laura Gieselman was solid with 41 saves to her credit as the
Gophers outshot the Huskies 47-19.  The win for SCSU came on the heels of a
tough 7-1 loss at Minnesota on Feb. 9.
    "We played with a lot of effort and heart tonight," SCSU coach Kerry
Wethington said.  "I thought we really capitalized on our opportunities
tonight.  We got the good bounces tonight.  This type of win really proves
to our players that they can beat anybody."
    The victory moves SCSU's record to 14-12-2, 9-7-2 WCHA while Minnesota
falls to 20-5-1, 15-2-1 WCHA.  In nine previous meetings the Huskies the
closest SCSU came to defeating the Gophers was a 5-4 loss on Oct. 15, 2000.
Of note, SCSU's 14 wins this season is the most posted by the Huskies in a
single season.  SCSU will continue its season on Feb. 16-17, with a home
series against Minnesota-Duluth.

-Go Huskies-