Sender:
From:
"Laura J. Lyons" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:50:25 EDT
In a message dated 6/4/99 11:30:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< even the women concede that Title IX has resulted in the elimination of
mens'
 non-revenue teams- Providence baseball; Notre Dame wrestling; etc - it is a
 fact- in an ideal world that would not happen- but this is reality- there
 will always be more male athletes than female athletes unless we have a total
 change in  western society- that's just the way it is-  >>
First time chiming in on anything here.... but can't just let that one go!
As a woman who has suffered through over 20 years of inequity, I will not
concede that Title IX has resulted in elimination of men's teams.  I look at
it, instead that before Title IX thousands of mens teams were ADDED at the
expense of women's programs. Now that someone has called the colleges on
this, they have to take back something.  And to comment that there will
always be more male athletes than female until we change society just shows a
bit of sexism on your part.  One needs only to look at the state of Minnesota
and the women's hockey programs there. They sued under Title IX for equal
access to decent ice rinks and times. Once they won and were granted the
equal access participation SOARED (don't know the exact number of new teams
that were formed as a result, but it was an extraordinary number).  What this
demonstrates is then when women (and men) are given the opportunities the
athletes will come out and take advantage of them.  That is why Title IX has
been so important to women.
I began playing hockey over 20 years ago and was appalled then that I didn't
have an opportunity to play in high school (other than on the boys team---
and they made that a treacherous option) or on a very limited selection of a
college team. Now my daughter is beginning to play hockey and she fortunately
has a girls varsity team (after 4 years and a Title IX threat was made) to
play on in high school. Interestingly enough,  the budgets are $35,000 vs.
$9,000. (Can you guess who has the higher budget?)  I now coach at the
college level and  I have a hard time believing although it's 20 years later,
so much inequity still exists.