Sender:
From:
"Richard S. Tuthill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 20:23:40 -0400
Comments:
To: HOCKEY3 <[log in to unmask]>
        I returned home from business this week to find that Peter Downey had
passed away on Monday. Peter was a fixture in CT hockey for all the 24
years that he lived in South Windsor.

        He coached high school hockey in Salem, MA, Rockville H.S., Simsbury H.S.,
and South Windsor High School. Peter was an Assistant Coach at Trinity
College and Yale University. He was Head Coach at Sacred Heart University
as well as for Yale Women's Hockey and Yale Softball. Peter was also the
owner of two hockey schools and managed several rinks and skating centers
in Connecticut.

        Although it has been quite some time since I last saw Peter, I will miss
him. I remember one hockey camp in particular that he organized at the
Bolton Ice Palace about ten years ago. He had Tim Taylor, Gary Wright, John
Dunham, Mike Gilligan, many top prep school coaches, and others that I can
no longer remember there. Those kids had absolutely no idea the level of
instruction they were getting, I am sure. But to no one's surprise, the
coaches had the kids just flying. I remember too that was the first time we
saw Billy Newson play and we were amazed at his quickness and
aggressiveness.

        Well, time marches on. But it is sure sad to see Peter go. He was a great
advocate for hockey in this neck of the woods.

        -- Dick Tuthill