Sender:
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 19:47:44 EDT
From:
Randy May <[log in to unmask]>
In a message dated 9/11/98 8:36:41 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<The active participants in the game (players, coaches, etc.) also have the
perception of the referee showboating when this call is enforced.  The
widespread unpopularity of enforcing this rule is why officials do not
enforce it.  Yes, the rule is in the book, but would you want it called?
To begin enforcement of an unpopular and rarely enforced rule it takes an
edict from the governing body.>>

I would propose that a 10 minute misconduct be levied against the player
without the mouthpiece. That way it doesn't hurt the team as much even if it
is a star player. 'Course...they would never call it against a star player
anyway...but they should. I officiate high school football and know how some
of my college bretheren call that infraction...and it is air-tight.

Randy May
http://members.aol.com/al20secord/Choose.html