Sender:
From:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 07:24:46 -0400
I decided over the weekend to look though John Gilbert's
predictions in The Sporting News's hockey annuals and compare
them with who actually won the NCAA championship.  The first
copy that I have is for 1990-91.  I do not know if this was
the first one that was published.

  year   pick    NCAA    champ's
                 winner  positon

  90/1   BU      NMU     8
  91/2   Maine   LSSU    12
  92/3   Mich    Maine   2
  93/4   LSSU    LSSU    1
  94/5   BU      BU      1
  95/6   BU      Mich    2
  96/7   Mich    NDak    >20
  97/8   NDak    Mich    10
  98/9   NDak    ??      ??

The first column is the year, second Gilbert's pick, third the
actual winner, and fourth the position that he picked the
actual winner to finish.

So, Gilbert has twice picked correctly in eight years, and
twice the team that he picked second won.  Once, in 96-97,
he missed completely, but not many picked North Dakota
that year.

Because of my own curiosity, I also included his prediction
for RPI.  In this period, RPI has twice made the NCAA field,
in 93/4 and 94/5, the second because of winning the ECAC
tourney in an upset.

  year   RPI

  90/1   9
  91/2   14