Sender:
From:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 07:36:22 -0400
Randy May <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It's been brought down to less than that as it's just oone gonzo
>journalist in
>a cabin outside Duluth Minnesota yelling at his dog and riddling his
>fax
>machine with .38 caliber bullets. I still like the AFA pick though
>;-)

This explains the pick of RPI as fifth -- the last game that he
probably saw RPI play was when RPI defeated UMD in the 1985 semis.

Seriously, I agree with Tony Buffa that this is the kiss of death,
and I agree with Mark Lewin that RPI could finish #5 in the nation
and could also finish out of the ECAC playoffs.  If RPI is
consistantly anything, it is "consistantly inconsistant".  Mark
mentioned Matt Murley.  I suspect that he will have a tremendous
amount of pressure on him being a Troy native.  He apparently did
not do particularly well in the recent international tourney that
he played in.  I hope that he is allowed to develop and not put
into the spotlight immediately although I think that the loss of
Garver will make this inevitable.

To add to what Mark wrote, RPI has several returning forwards who
are proven scorers or set-up men: St Hilaire, Murphy, Riva,
Gardiner, Caley, and Tapper.  The defense is, as usual, more of a
problem.  Bryan Tapper, Chris Aldous, and Pat Brownlee have all
graduated.  There are four freshmen and four returning players on
this year's roster

http://www.rpi.edu/dept/athletics/m_hockey/roster.html

Also, the goaltending of Scott Prekaski and Joel Laing has been
inconsistant over the last two years, although much of their
shortcomings can be placed upon forwards and defensemen being out of
position.

I'll have to buy a copy of the annual TSN mag although it is always
hard to find in DC; perhaps I will find it when I pass through the
Providence airport this evening.  Did they publish the "All-American
Checklist" this year?  This often seems even more ridiculous than
the top-20 rankings.  I do miss the puns that used to accompany the
top-20 list.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74