Sender:
From:
Todd Nielson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 20:13:47 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-30 01:47:13 EDT, AW writes:

<< No offense to Air Force, or their obviously passionate fans -- but what you
are
 saying is that you would expect Air Force to finish in the top half of one of
 the major conferences.  >>

Not quite. What I *was* trying to say was that some might expect them to be a
middle-of-the-pack team in a major conference.  Air Force was 15-19-0 overall
(by my tally), but was 4-14-0 against D-I teams (if you don't count UConn,
6-14-0 if you. I suspect most wouldn't).  The D-I teams they beat were Army
(twice to close the season), UMass.-Amherst (who tied for last in HE), Niagara
and Nebraska-Omaha. If last season is any indication, then you wouldn't expect
Air Force to be ranked that high, I agree.  But substantial improvement year-
to-year is not unheard of -- look at Yale over the previous two seasons -- and
maybe John Gilbert of TSN and his poll compilees know something about AFA that
I don't.  All I'm saying is that rising to the equivalent of a major
conference middle-of-the-pack team is what TSN is predicting.

I won't tell anyone we're having this conversation if you don't ;-)

-Todd