Sender:
From:
Jeffrey Partnow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 18:55:15 -0900
To: "Susan R. Sharrock" <[log in to unmask]>
>Jeffrey Partnow asked if "... anybody has any insight into the
>factors used (and their relative weights) by the various leagues in
>rating officials?  Do all leagues use a similar formula? (i.e.,
>would the #1 rated ref in the CCHA still be #1 if judged by ECAC
>standards?).  Is there any way for the fans to divine the league's
>ratings?"
>
>Sounds suspiciously like rhetorical questions to me!
>
>Hope springs eternal in this human breast even though this time, I
>fear for naught.  But, while I wait with bated breath for a response
>from some knowledgeable official from any of the conferences or the
>NC$$ that there are indeed enforced standards, I would add yet
>another rhetorical question: Are there any standards for evaluating
>referees (selected and hired, I believe, by the host institution) for
>non-conference games?   (If no NC$$ official cares to respond,
>perhaps  Army fans who attended the 1995 and 1997 games with Air
>Force at Colorado Springs could give us a clue?)
>
>F.W. Sharrock

============Reply==============
Hi, Fred and Susan--
Actually, it wasn't rhetorical, though I'm glad you thought me clever
enough to make it that way. It just seems that all seems so bloody
arbitrary and inconsistent. I was wondering if they get rated on things
like interpretation of rules, control of game, impartiality, "make up"
calls, etc. Or if they are rated by skating ability, physical conditioning,
positioning, and so forth. Or if their tapes are reviewed and graded by
other refs.

The one thing I am sure of is that they get brownie points for shortness of
games, as if that had something to do with quality of officiating.

I'm surprised that none of the officials who read the list have responded
so far. Maybe they resent the intrusion of mere fans into the byzantine
workings of their club. Or, worse yet, maybe there are NO RULES AT ALL!

With the Nanooks' early exit from the playoffs, I'll have a nice long time
to contemplate this and other mysteries of life.
--jeff partnow

--Jeff Partnow ([log in to unmask])

UAF, the world's only GREAT 14-22-1 hockey team.