Sender:
From:
"Tony Frolik (Anthony Frolik)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 10:59:34 -0500
Two letters I wanted to chime in on:

>Try this for rationale.  I don't know if this makes sense, but
>we are talking about the ECAC. :)
>
>IF the first two games go OT, then there could be two
>exhausted teams going into game 3 which could lead to
>injuries, bad play, etc.
>
>Joe
>Clarkson '77

This brings back to me the 1992 playoff series with UMD at CC.  Game one
went three overtimes with CC on top 7-6, game 2 had only one overtime, UMD
4-3 and game 3 went three more overtimes, CC 5-4.  These guys may have been
on their last legs, but it was the most exciting series I remember in
recent times.  The only bad parts were that I wasn't there, because it was
in CC, and it was in the Broadmoor (sp), and the TV coverage was awful, it
just seemed so dark.
Anyway, the best of three with unlimited overtimes is great.
(Also see: 1996 Minnesota State High School AA Hockey Semifinal,
           1997 Minnesota State High School AA Hockey Semifinal.
           They aren't series, but they were some great games.)

Part 2
From: Brent Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Cornell 2, Harvard 2 (OT)

On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Jeffrey T Anbinder wrote:
> > In a "best of three" or "first to three points" or even a "best of two"
> > series (remember those? yuck!), it is not only acceptable, but it is
> > traditional and proper, for the two teams not to line up and shake hands
> > at the end of any game but the one that decides the series.
> >
> I appreciate your "annual explanation", but it sure looked to me like the
> Cornell team was lining up to shake hands, since they first skated to
> their goal and waited before moving to center ice for the traditional
> stick-raising. Also, you can't deny that the Harvard team displayed some
> obvious animosity towards the home squad (not to mention the fans, who
> probably deserved it). If, in fact, tradition dictates that the two teams
> not shake hands before the end of the series, I have to say that this is
> a stupid way of doing things. Is the tournament so important that good
> sportsmanship is no longer a priority? I think this display of good faith
> does a lot to diffuse the tensions that build up over the course of a
> hard fought game (i.e. Friday's matchup). No matter what the tradition,
> it appeared to me that the Harvard team and coach would have sooner
> kissed a slug than shake hands with Cornell.

Since no one else has chimed in, I will do the "Annual WCHA response" ;)
The WCHA teams always play two-game series, and never shake hands after the
first one.  I think the fact that you're going to be playing again tomorrow
night makes it really unneccessary.  Really, you're still at war with these
guys, and it's just a chance for something else to start up.  I agree with
the waiting until after the second game.

Tony

--
Anthony J. Frolik        [log in to unmask]        University of Minnesota
Go Gophers!              My views are not representative of the University.