Sender:
From:
Paul J Thalacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:46:26 -0600
It appears Doug Woog and the Twin Cities media provided a distorted
account of the comments by Mike Sertich last weekend. The following
was taken from the Duluth News-Tribune on 2/21/97:

UMD coach Mike Sertich got into a minor controversy over something he
said last Friday night, although he didn't say it in front of reporters.
After the Bulldogs scored their seventh goal in an 8-4 win at Minnesota,
fans started leaving Mariucci Arena in droves on a weekend where the
Gophers were celebrating their diamond anniversary.  A Midwest Sports
Channel television mike picked up Sertich saying, ``Where are the 75
years of tradition?''  Gophers coach Doug Woog used a variation of the
quote (substituting ``pride'' for ``tradition'') to fire up his players
for Saturday's rematch, which Minnesota won 7-1, then told some reporters
the remark had been directed at the Gopher bench.

``I know what I said, but I never said it to any of their coaches, any of
their players, or any of their staff,''  said Sertich.

One thing is certain -- coaches would be uncomfortable if they knew mikes
were picking up all their comments during a game. Earlier this season,
MSC cut the audio of a bench exchange between Woog and Michigan
Tech coach Tim Watters when both coaches started using foul language.