Sender:
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:20:38 -0500
From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
To: Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Hi -

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Bill Fenwick wrote:
> Union goalie Trevor Koenig is currently riding a shutout streak of 173:34,
> thanks to back-to-back blankings last weekend, and he's close to what I
> believe is still the ECAC record in that category, Brian Cropper's 189
> minutes and change.  Cropper's feat was accomplished with Cornell back
> in the 1969-70 season, and Koenig could break that record against the
> Big Red this Friday.

  With apologies to all my Cornell friends, best of luck to Trevor this
weekend in extending his streak.  I've always has a soft spot on my heart
for the Union program, and any team that sports the defensive prowess that
the Dutchmen have exhibited so far this season gets high marks in my book.
Offense is showy and the fans love it, but a well-executed "poke 'n turn"
(as friends and I have dubbed the exceptional teamwork of a poke-checking
defenseman dropping the puck off to a back-checking forward for a quick
transition break the other way) sets my heart a-flutter :-)  Couple that
with a record-setting goalie - wow !!

> (LSSU's Blaine Lacher set the NCAA record of 375:01 back in 1994)

  Who, sadly, is now out of hockey altogether, having shone briefly for
Boston for parts of his rookie season, then having languished in the mid/
high-minors for much of the past several seasons.  The Boston "Globe" had
a very informative and insightful article/interview some weeks back -
required reading for all those college hot-shots (without naming names,
but a certain UM-TC Gopher whose head is apparently elsewhere comes to
mind) who think that college accolades and success will automatically
translate into a "can't miss" pro career ....

  On a somewhat related note, I see that former Big Red dufflebag Parris
Duffus was just recently recalled by Phoenix - good luck to him.  And in
response to John H.'s query as to what's become of the (ex-Maine) Ferraro
twins - they're laboring (and that's a fact, with the club in last place)
for the AHL Binghamton Rangers.  Both have had a few cups of coffee with
the parent club, but it's doubtful, IMHO, that either will ever make an
impact with the Broadway Blues.  Unless they're traded away to a team
who'll give them more minutes in NHL sweaters to prove themselves, they're
likely to remain AHL lifers ....

  Cheers from Solomons - Jim
  Go Blue !!