Sender:
From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 13:25:48 -0500
> goaltender is able to unseat a veteran.  What I am wondering is, are
> there any other instances of a team's top two goaltenders being freshmen
> and how did that team perform?  Do people think that recruiting a new
> goaltender corps every four years makes sense?

Corrie D'Alessio and Jim Crozier paired up for Cornell from the '88 season
through '91.  Their minutes in each year:

D'Alessio:

1988 1457 mins
1989 1684
1990 887
1991 1160

Crozier:

1988 180
1989 127
1990 866
1991 739

Cornell went from 9th place in '87 to 3rd in '88, although this was also
due to other quality recruiting (oh for another recruiting class like CU's
class of '91...)

This was a case in which one of the pair developed faster and did the
lion's share of the work for the first two years.

As far as depending upon this as a recruiting strategy... I don't think you
can depend upon high caliber talent becoming available (and able to satisfy
your admissions requirements) right on schedule every four years.  Having
both goalies in the same class sets up a terrible "feast or famine" cycle.

- Greg Berge