Sender:
From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 13:21:12 -0500
> You should realize that Army is not a team that will outskate you, heck
some
> prep teams probably have more talent.  But, after watching Army hockey
for many
> years, their game of discipline and endurance can frustrate any team on
any
> given night.

I remember Army in the mid-80's driving us crazy with, well to be honest,
clutch and grab.  Their style would often lead to a near breakdown of
discipline on the Cornell side -- dumb penalties, trying to force the play
-- and this would lead directly to Army scoring opp's.  It was an effective
style to try to contain faster, deeper teams.  It was also often unexciting
to watch -- I speak from experience in watching the last few Brian
McCutcheon teams, which did the same thing.

Army played with strength, endurance, and very good positional play.
(Oddly, they never seemed to have great size, which you would think would
have fit well with their style).  They had guys who could throw the
proverbial "hit your children will feel".

> Those same people that were gloating about Cornell's tie at Michigan seem
> need to look for excuses for the tie against Army.

Sure; that's normal.  You tend to explain a result more in terms of your
own team than the opponent, because you don't know (or care) as much about
the other guys.  I bristled a bit when I read Michigan fans coming down a
bit on their team for an uninspiring performance, feeling "hey -- you hafta
give Cornell some credit".  Army fans are I'm sure in an analogous
situation.

> For all of you Cornell fans...GET OVER IT!  If Michigan goes on to win
the
> national championship, you can say that your team tied the National
Champions...

Cornell's in first place by percentage in their conference, and ranked
better in the national polls than they have been in years.  I think we're
over it.  :-)

> ...People may remember that game, but the tie against Army will go by the
> wayside.  Clarkson tied Maine in 1992-93 when they went 39-1-2.

TRUE.  I still remember that Cornell held RPI close in the third period at
Lynah during the Engineers' 1985 title season (they were in the midst of
something like a 33 game unbeaten streak).  That wasn't even a win.  The
good performances against great teams are by far the best memories.

Greg Berge
Let's Go Red!