Sender:
From:
Jeffrey Anbinder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 13:26:00 -0500
> The fact that Cornell skated around Army doesn't mean a thing.  The fact is
> that one goal got past each goaltender.  In my book, that goes down as a tie.
> Those same people that were gloating about Cornell's tie at Michigan seem to
> need to look for excuses for the tie against Army.  The Black Knights showed
> Cornell what many around the country refuse to see with the military academy
> sports teams...they are not the New York Jets, like some carpet that every
> other team walks over.

Nobody's disputing that Army got a tie, or even that they deserved a tie
in this particular game.  Chamberlain's goaltending, in particular, was
quite stellar.  We're also not looking for excuses - Cornell didn't play
as well as they're capable of playing, which was obvious to anybody who
was at the game, and we've acknoweldged that quite freely.  If you don't
play well, you don't deserve to win.

> For all of you Cornell fans...GET OVER IT!  If Michigan goes on to win the
> national championship, you can say that your team tied the National Champions.
> People may remember that game, but the tie against Army will go by the
> wayside.  Clarkson tied Maine in 1992-93 when they went 39-1-2.  I still
> remember that game well, but do you think I remember which teams they lost to
> that they shouldn't have.

Nobody I know really takes that little game seriously... you can always
find someone who beat a team who beat a team who beat... etc... who beat
the team that won the national championship (with the obvious exception of
Cornell in 1969-70, who nobody beat or tied).  It doesn't mean anything
other than you never know for sure who's going to win any particular game.

"Get over it"?  If you mean learn to deal with the fact that Cornell tied
a team we thought they should've beat, sure, we'll get over that fairly
quickly, especially if Cornell does better in the near future against
Ferris State and Princeton.  In fact, I'd *prefer* that if they have to
lose or tie in games they "should" win, it's against non-conference
opponents like Army.

If on the other hand you're hinting we should never imply that Army might
possibly be a slightly inferior team, I think you're on the wrong mailing
list.  Info-Hockey-L is for scores and stats; Hockey-L is for opinions,
whether they're wrong or right.  Unless I hear something completely
unsubstantial like "Army sucks, hehhehheh," and unless people are unable
to qualify their opinions with facts and/or observations, I think
everybody should feel free to continue expressing those opinions.

Jeffrey