Sender:
From:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 08:52:05 -0600
Responding to the message of  <[log in to unmask]>
from Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>:
> Just what exactly does it take for the referee to actually grant one?  I
> thought I heard that the option was granted in this case to take a minor
> penalty on the opposing team or a penalty shot.  Is that right?  Most
> power plays aren't much more successful than 20% or so.  What is the
> likely percentage of successful penalty shot attempts?  Anyone have any
> idea?  I was pretty surprised to read that CCHA goalies had stopped 8 in
> a row.  That means only 20% of the last 10 have been successful as
> well.  So given a choice which one would you choose?

1. The NCAA defines a player with a breakaway as:
"a player in control of the puck with no opposition between the individual and
the opposing goal and with a reasonable scoring opportunity."

So, you can see that judgement comes into play.

2. Yes, a minor penalty can be accepted in lieu of the penalty shot, as long as
the offense is not involving a major, disqualification or misconduct penalty.
If the offense is a major, disqualification or misconduct penalty, the shot is
awarded, and the penalty is assessed.

How often does this happen, though?

3. I would think that penalty shots have a much higher rate of success than 20%.
I only saw 2 when I was at UMD, and they were both successful, and the ones I
have seen on TV are mostly successful.  I am a stats freak, but I don't have any
kind of those numbers.

Tony