Sender:
From:
"Howard M. Quimby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 13:59:43 -0400
Comments:
To: Leigh M Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
> I'll point out that the Globe uses just "UMass" in its game
> sumaries, abbreviating the two schools as "UM" and "UML" in the
> scoring summary when they face each other.

See, that's where the problem is.  I thought Lowell played Maine six times
this year.  But I guess you could make a claim for Mass-Amherst taking
posession of the "UM" as the bigger campus appears to reside in Mass.  ;)

And I guess I'm in real trouble for referring to Mass-Amherst as "Amherst" and
Mass-Lowell as "Lowell".  Then again, I picked up that habit when Lowell was
the University of Lowell and Mass-Amherst was, ummmm, uh -- oh yeah -- when
Mass-Amherst didn't have a hockey program.

While I really don't see why UMass people have a problem with Amherst
appearing after their name, lets not forget that the "A" came to be because
Maine was UM and Lowell was UML in Hockey East.  It only made sense for Umass
to be UMA.   I suppose the league and the rest of the hockey fans in the
northeast could bow to the wishes of UMass and drop the Amherst, but I'm going
to side with clarity on this one.  You are, after all, in Amherst!   And even
if the Globe didn't report it, you played Lowell three times.  ;)

(It's not the off-season, is it?)

  \_  \_  \_     Howard M. Quimby                [log in to unmask]
  \_\_\_  \_     Natural Intelligence, Inc.      Tel (617) 876-7680 x1208
  \_ \__  \_     Cambridge, MA                   Fax (617) 492-7425