Sender:
From:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 02:42:42 PDT
---------------Original Message---------------

Pam Sweeney writes: . . . . . . . . .

So for some reason the Gophers saw fit to leave a day early and stop over
in Seattle.  (I grant you this was just after the end of finals, but
hopefully the stop wasn't made just for some really good coffee...)  It's a
4.5-5 hour bus ride from Mpls to Madison, and about 6 to Milwaukee.
Somehow I doubt they stopped to spend the night in Baraboo on the way to
the Final Five, so to me that suggests that it's not just an easy hop from
the Twin Cities to Anchorage in the Gophers' eyes.

Yes, Alaska is on daylight savings time and yes, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever!!

We "locals" sort of laugh about how the "big" schools travel to Alaska with the night stop over in either Seattle or Salt Lake. From our perspective, it makes the travel that much more difficult. And, the results seem to be about the same. Other coaches have also commented about it. However, it MIGHT be a smart move (other schools probably feel that they haven't that luxury). Also of interest, when Woog's teams arrive he typically has them practice on one of the outdoor rinks in often very cold weather. Again, very unusual AND perhaps smart in getting back their "legs" (the complex they play at has three indoor arenas and two outside rinks -- all zamboni maintained, etc., but it is still cold on the outside rinks).

We don't understand why the teams go through Seattle (extra couple of hours). We wonder why they don't take one of the direct flights from Mpls or Detroit or sometimes the airlines schedule the winter flights from Chicago. The next best route is through Salt Lake (2 daily non-stops), but often those flights are full so they may have valid reasons, however that's the normal way that Denver and CC get here. Lastly, I don't think that the time zones or lenght of flight is the predominant travel fatigue issue -- mostly I think it comes from the crowded conditions -- certain flights are almost always sold out weeks ahead. Smart travel planning can somewhat alleviate that, but not sufficiently to make it a 'for sure' easy flight.

Part of my life dealt with arranging the chartering of large aircraft including jets. I've often wondered why UAA and schools like Minn. and Wisc. don't make greater use of this capability. Often, I'm sure that the booster clubs could fill out such a plane from here and that would solve many of commercial related travel problems.

Lowell King, Anchorage