Sender:
From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 22:24:16 -0600
Carol wrote:
>Matt Evans questioned the news that DeBus may leave the
>Gophers due to scholarship dificulties that was in Saturday's
>Star Tribune.
>
>In yesterday's Minnesota Daily it stated that DeBus is staying
>and he has made arrangements to cover his expenses for the Spring
>quarter.

In case anyone wants to see the actual text...
This item was part of the sports roundup in yesterday's Minnesota Daily.
It's from
http://www.daily.umn.edu/~online/daily/1996/04/15/sports/rnd15/index.html

DeBus says he's not leaving

Gophers hockey goalie Steve DeBus said he is not considering leaving
Minnesota this year to play professional hockey, contrary to a report in
Saturday's Star Tribune.

DeBus said he was upset a few weeks ago about a misunderstanding with the
distribution of his scholarship money, but the problem is resolved. He expected
the money to be divided evenly over the entire year, and was surprised to learn
that he received it all during fall and winter quarters.

About the same time, he made a call to one of his former coaches, who is now an
assistant with the NHL's San Jose Sharks. But DeBus, an undrafted sophomore,
said the call wasn't related to the scholarship problem.

"I was just calling him to see if I had any stock out there and any
options," DeBus said. "But as
far as playing pro hockey goes, that's not going to happen next year. I'm
going to play at the U next year. Everything's all taken care of now.

"It was kind of an indirect call. I don't think it had anything to do with
the scholarship deal or anything like that. It was just a friendly call."

DeBus said he would listen to an offer if it was made to him, but that it
would have to be "an outstanding offer -- something you just couldn't turn
down."

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!
Ski-U-Mah!!!