Sender:
From:
"Eric G. Hoffman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 20:30:05 GMT
Well, I finally made it to my first ECAC championship (But only to
the championship game, my three year old son does not have the patience
to sit through 2 hockey games and I couldn't get out of Albany for
Friday's games). I'll make a few comments on John Whelan's excellent
report.

BTW, a friend bought us some tickets after Friday's result was known
and we ended up with SRO.  Luckily when we arrived (3rd period of the
consolation game) there were still some seats near the Cornell fans
in the upper deck (section 64).  After the conso, a group of VT fans
left their seats in that section and we were glad to be near the
familiar Lynah Faithful.

>         Once again the Cornell fans were a presence in the early game;
> this time Mom and I had the foresight to sit in the midst of the
> Faithful and participate fully in the cheers.  Only a few "Let's Go
> Red" cheers this time, but the cowbell was active in showing up the
> Vermont fans.  By the time the consolation ended, the animosity
> between Cornell and Vermont supporters was extremely impressive,
> considering they never played one another' this weekend.  The Cornell
> fans again taunted St. Louis and Perrin ("Short--Shorter!
> Short--Shorter!"), and some of us joined the Clarkson crowd in
> chanting "Let's Go Tech!"  Late in the game there was even a "Let's Go
> Tech" cheer started by the Cornell section itself.

Also late in the game the Cornell fans did:
"Which team is the 3rd place team?" (Pointing to VT) "This team is
the third place team."  "Which team is the 4th place team?" (Pointing
to Clarkson) "This team is the 4th place team."  Very funny (if you
dont root for UVM or Clarskon ;-)).

> It seems extremely
> unlikely, but if Cornell gets the #6 seed in the East and Vermont
> their anticipated #2, a potential Cornell-UVM showdown in Albany would
> be incredible.  (Not that Cornell deserves anything but 5W, but you
> never know with the selection committee.)
>  <P>

We know now how this turned out :-).  Bad for Lowell, good for Cornell
and Clarkson.

>         <A NAME="final">Cornell</A> came out for the final to a roar
> of fan support, but the upstart Crimson shocked the crowd by scoring
> in the first minute of the game, before the Big Red's fans had
> finished singing "O Canada".  After giving up a goal on the first
> shot, Elliott looked tentative for the early part of the game, making a
> few unconvincing saves and having a few wide shots whistle by him
> before settling down.  Harvard once again clogged down their
> opponents' offensive attack in the neutral zone, and for their part
> had a lot of opportunities for deflections with a man in front of the
> net.  The Big Red also gave the puck away in their own zone a number
> of times.  Cornell would eventually establish their game of forechecking,
> forcing a few defensive turnovers of their own.
>   <P>

Cornell had a tough time playing their close checking game (call it clutch
and grab if you lose, close checking if you win :)), on the wide ice
sheet.  Especially in the 2nd period, Harvard was able to bring the puck
out of their own zone and into the neutral zone with ease.  At that point
the Cornell defense would generally "catch up" and Harvard would go without
a shot or with a weak one.

>         The Red tied the game on a freakish goal, when Tracy stopped a
> shot, but the puck rolled up his chest and over his shoulder.  By the
> time he realized it was behind him, it was in the net.  (If I recall
> from the <A HREF="http://www.tstradio.com/hhockey.html">radio
> broadcast</A>, Cornell scored a similar goal against the Crimson at
> the Bright Center in February.)
>  <P>
>         Elliott, once he recovered from the early goal, had another
> fine night in the nets, but the save of the game came from a
> defenseman.  In the second period, after the Red had gone up 2-1 on
> Mike Sancimino's goal, Elliott found himself out of position during a
> Harvard rally.  Steve Wilson covered the other half of the net and
> blocked two quick shots for what would have been the tying goal.  As
> the puck was finally cleared, the Cornell corner (at the other end of
> the ice) erupted, and the chant went up: "Ste-vie Wil-son!"
>  <P>

This was the turning point in the game, as Harvard seemed a bit deflated
after not taking advantage of this mishap.

>         Ammian and Murphy were not as bad tonight as in the
> quarterfinal, although they were still inconsistent in which
> infractions they were willing to overlook.  For instance, when Ethan
> Philpott cross-checked a Cornellian near the boards, they whistled
> both him and the played who retaliated against him, which was exactly
> the penalty they failed to call against Clarkson last night.

Well, it was a stupid retaliation on Cornell's part.  Philpott's
check was immediately called and just after the whistle blows, Andre
Doll plows into the crowd to retaliate, nullifying a potential power
play in VERY close game.  Use your head, Andre.   If Ammian and
Murphy called a better game Sat., I shudder to think of the Fri. game.

>  Late in
> the first period, with a delayed penalty on Cornell, the Crimson
> pulled Tracy for the extra attacker.  The only problem was that they
> put on <EM>two</EM> extra attackers, giving them seven.  The refs
> didn't call the penalty immediately, and it was only after an extended
> conference (during which I started the "Kill Schafer Kill" chant,
> heard several times in each game) that the bench minor was assessed.
> Again, the officiating did not hurt Cornell, as their shorthanded unit
> was perfect for the second night in a row.
>  <P>

Actually, I think the linesman caught this one and as soon the play
was over the ref skated directly to the Harvard bench to notify them
before going over to the scorer's table to give both penalties.
There was a long delay, however, as Harvard wouldn't send a man
to the box.  Twice the ref (was it Ammian or Murphy?) had to skate
over the Harvard bench and remind them to put someone in the box.
In fact, Harvard refused to send out their team for the faceoff.  This
got Schafer riled up (I surmise he must have been asking for a delay
of game penalty).  Finally, Harvard complied.  Lucky for Cornell,
as this could have meant yet another Harvard power play.

>         Cornell got what appeared to be a much-needed insurance goal
> in the second when Wilson's one-timer sailed in untouched from the
> point.  The goal was waved off, however, as Geoff Lopatka was called
> for interference.  (I believe that was when I finally heard the
> forbidden "... munch munch munch" cheer; I won't repeat it in this
> forum, but the beginning was "The refs are out to lunch...")

My friend and fellow hockey-ler Gary Wojcik was watching on NE Sports
Channel.  He told me that the replay showed that Lopatka interfered with
the goalie on his way to the front of the net.  I was watching the
puck at the point and was incensed by what I perceived to be a
horrendous call.  But, I must admit, since I was watching the puck at
the point I couldn't see the action at the net.

> Cornell
> killed the penalty, and when the time expired, Lopatka skated out of
> the box full steam across the ice to break up a Harvard pass at the
> point and tip it out of the zone.  The crowd exploded.
>  <P>

Ahhh, redemption for the bad call.

>         The third period was a bit of a standoff, with the Red never
> setting up the goal that would give them a two-goal cushion, and the
> Crimson never putting in the tying tally.  The last minute or two of
> the game was played in the Cornell end, with the Red never getting
> near the empty net.  As the final horn sounded, Elliott was mobbed in
> the goal.
>  <P>

Cornell played tentatively for the period, content for the most part
to ease back on their forcheck and continously dump the puck in the
Harvard end to get quick line changes.  I thought Cornell looked
really tired down the stretch while the Harvard seemed to be
getting to all the loose pucks.  Unfortunately, for them, they
couldn't convert the hustle into the tying goal.

All in all, this is an incredible season for Cornell.  At the beginning
of the season, home-ice, the ECAC championship and NCAA tournament
berth seemed way out of reach. An alternate universe even! From here on
out it's all gravy!

BTW, I know this has been mentioned before but Cornell has been
virtually unbeatable in the second half of the season.  Their
turning point was the abyssmal loss at Army (and the now infamous
ride home in their uniforms).  Since then, Cornell is 14-2-1.
The only blemishes in that stretch: losses at Colgate and Clarkson (OT)
and a tie at home with Vermont.  Over that stretch Cornell has outscored
their opponents 79 - 33.

Warning to Lake St.: Don't underestimate this team based on their
early season blowouts to national powers, BU, Colorado College and
Michigan State.

Lastly, looking forward to this weekend at the Knick.  Look for a low
scoring affair between Cornell and Lake St. Both teams have peaked
at the end of the season.  Both teams play excellent team defense.
Personally, I give the edge to LSSU in a squeaker with special teams
being the difference.  However, if Cornell can stay out of the box. watch
out!

Eric
"Let's GO RED!!!"

 Eric Hoffman                   |  "It was...an afternoon scraped out
 ES-333                         |   of the dog dish of meteorology..."
 Dept. of Atmospheric Science   |
 University at Albany           |   Tom Robbins describing an August
 State University of New York   |   day in Richmond, VA.
 1400 Washington Ave.           |
                                |   Cornell, Class of 1988
 Phone: (518) 442-4574          |   Big Red Hockey
 Fax: (518) 442-4494            |   1996 ECAC and Ivy Leage Champs!
 E-mail: [log in to unmask]  |   "Let's Go RED!!!"

 World Wide Web: http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/eric/eric.html