Sender:
From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 08:57:19 -0500
> And, by the way, it seems to me that the Clarkson-Cornell game will be
> for an NCAA berth (assuming Vermont wins, and I know that can't
> necessarily be assumed).
>    If Vermont wins, we know they're already in, so the Clarkson-Cornell
> winner could lose the final to Vermont, and then go.  Obviously if they
> win, they'd definitely be in.
>    I'm not sure Clarkson has a strong enough record to get in
> regardless, though they certainly are higher rated than Cornell.

I'd have to disagree with this. Again, thinking if the season ended
today, Clarkson would be in (IMO). They've been ranked (H-L poll,
RPI, a few other national polls, and other various point systems)
in the top 15 all year, at least.

Against several of the TUCs, they are a modest 8-6-1, but look at
some of these games. Three of those losses were their first
3 games of the year (2 to Denver, 1 to BGSU). The other three losses
were at St. Lawrence, at Cornell and against Vermont. They tied BU
*IN* Boston (where I believe BU had to score late to tie it), they beat
Maine in a close one and Providence twice. Their only other loss
on the year was at Colgate.

They have definitely defeated the teams they were supposed to and played
the top teams tough.

>    On the other hand --> how much does Cornell defeating Colgate, as
> opposed to Clarkson's wins over Brown, affect Cornell in the RPI in a
> positive way?  Also, Cornell is 12-1-1 in its last 14 games, which has
> to help. So if Cornell loses the final, what justifies the committee
> taking someone else?  Anything?  Someone more familiar with the process
> and rankings let me know.

Well, you should see the RPI by now. I think with SLU's loss to Harvard,
it only increases Cornell's chance of making it in. Unless Bowling Green
or Providence wins their repective tourneys, Cornell just might be
the third team from the ECAC. The Big Red would certainly solidify
their shot if they beat Clarkson.

Andy

+  Andy Weise           Let's Go Tech!                                +
+  SUNY Potsdam '93                     [log in to unmask]       +
+  Union College '95    Let's Go U!                                   +