Sender:
From:
Terry Paul Kasdan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:07:43 -0600
To: Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
> Although both of our goalies seem really supportive of each other when
> they are not starting (that's really impressive to me), I'm not sure what
> effect that actually has on them.

     Goalies are schitzophrenic.  We WANT to be sad when our team gets
scored on (and we do our best to act sad - but look in our eyes at the
moment it happens), in reality we ache to see the red light go on over
our partner's head.  Come on, any goalie who doesn't feel this way does
not belong in the net, anyway.  I WANT TO PLAY.  I don't want to sit on
the bench.  And, as a coach or a fan, you should want me to want to
play.  [ Luckily, in my career, I played a lot more than I sat on the
bench :) ]  Fighting for our spot doesn't end at tryouts or training
camp.  It never ends, no matter who you are.  Sorry if you don't believe
me (or if you don't want to belive me), but it's the truth 100% of the
time.  [ I'm not a jerk or anything, either.  I'm actually a nice guy.
Visit my homepage on the WWW to see :)

> To the goalies that have responded, would you want to know whether
> you're starting two nights and which ones?

Like I said before, I always liked knowing by Wednesday EXACTLY what the
situation was for Friday and Saturday.  But, that can't always be.  I think
during the regular season a coach (in most cases) should be able to tell
his goalies who will be starting on which night(s).  And then - no matter
what the outcome - he should do what he promised.  A goalie needs to have
confidence in himself; confidence in his coach; and confidence that his
coach has confidence in him.  But notice I said *starting*.  Give your
goalie a shot.  If he blows it, change goalies.  (Give him a fair shot,
though.)  I think Mike Keenan is a bit extreme, but when you change
goalies your backup often plays like an Ed Belfour.
     The playoffs are a different story, though.  I agree that the hot
goalie must start.
   _________
   |__   __|  _    __   This message brought to you by...
      | |    | |  / /
      | |    | | / /            TERRY P. KASDAN
      | |    | |/ /        e-mail: [log in to unmask]
             |_|  \_\  http://students.uiuc.edu/~t-kasdan