Sender:
From:
"Tuthill, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 1995 10:18:00 EDT
     Thanks to Luiz Valente and others for a discussion on
institutional admissions selectivity which has been more focused than
those of the recent past.   I'd like to add a point to that discourse and
then
raise a related question.

     For the large state universities,  a truer measure of their selectivity
probably lies in the statistics for their out of state students.   This
immediately
occurred to me when I noticed that UVM was listed as only moderately
difficult to get into.   But,  around these parts,  UVM is viewed as a tough
place
to get accepted,  even more so than those listed as Very Difficult.

     The question I'd like to raise is one that has been discussed before,
but not definitively.   What IS the Academic Index that the ECAC uses???
Does anyone really know?   What I've seen on the list over the past couple
of
years has been mainly peoples' impressions.   What we need is an in-depth
definitive discussion of what it is and how it is applied in practice.

     The reason that I ask this question is that there is a certain ECAC
institution close to my heart who successfully recruited a certain very good

player (whom I have never met),  and I am told,  is an all around great kid.
happen to know,  however,   that this player's academic achievements were
 --  shall we say  --  *very* modest at best.   Many of his teachers
were absolutely flabbergasted when he was accepted.   To this institution's
credit,  they have provided him with all the special resources required for
him
to succeed academically (including freshman calculus).   The question I
have,
though,  is how did that situation get past the Academic Index requirements?
It appears that our impressions of the A.I. may be different from reality.

     -- Dick Tuthill