Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 1995 00:28:09 -0400
I was surprised to see that Dave Fischer's MTU schedule listed the
Huskies as playing Laurentian on October 7, because I knew that NC$$
rules prohibited teams from playing outside competition before the
second Friday in October (17.10.3(a)).  Dave alerted me to a change
that has occurred in the rules this year.  The following is taken
from the 1995-96 NC$$ Manual:

17.10.2 PRESEASON PRACTICE.  A member institution shall not commence
practice sessions in ice hockey prior to the following dates:
 17.10.2.1 Traditional Segment.  September 7 or the institution's
 first day of classes for the fall term, whichever is earlier.
 (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91 and 8/1/92, Revised: 1/10/95
 effective 8/1/95)
 17.10.2.2 Nontraditional Segment.  September 7 or the institution's
 first day of classes for the fall term, whichever is earlier.
 (Revised: 1/10/92, Revised: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/95)
17.10.3 FIRST CONTEST.  A member institution shall not play its first
contest (game or scrimmage) with outside competition in ice hockey
prior to September 7 or the institution's first day of classes for the
fall term, whichever is earlier.  (Revised: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/95)

Yes, that's *September* 7.  No distinction is made among divisions.

Previously, the rule read as follows:

17.10.2 PRESEASON PRACTICE.  ...
 17.10.2.1 Traditional Segment
  (a) Divisions I and II - The date that permits a maximum of 21
  practice opportunities (see 17.02.13) prior to the first scheduled
  intercollegiate contest.
  (b) Division III - August 24 or the first date on which classes are
  scheduled for the institution's fall term, whichever date occurs
  first.
 17.10.2.2 Nontraditional Segment
 (a) Divisions I and II - September 7 or the first day of classes,
 whichever date occurs first.
 (b) Division III - September 1 or the first date on which classes are
 scheduled for the institution's fall term, whichever date occurs
 first.
17.10.3 FIRST CONTEST. ...
 (a) Division I - The second Friday in October.
 (b) Divisions II and III - October 15.
 17.10.3.1 Exception.  One ice hockey game may be played on the first
 Saturday in October between two Division I intercollegiate teams at
 the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

This is a SIGNIFICANT change, as far as I can tell.  It could very
well result in teams playing their first game in September, as well as
holding their first on-ice practice earlier than the traditional
October 1.

I'm curious as to what led to the change.  Does anyone have any
additional information?

I had been told that BC and MSU were going to need a special exemption
from the NC$$ to play their first round game in the Great Western
Freeze Out on Thursday, October 13 - a day earlier than the second
Friday in October - but now this seems not to be necessary.  I wonder
what other teams may be planning to play on the first weekend in
October or even earlier.