Sender:
From:
"Sara M. Fagan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 12:22:55 -0400
> From: Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>

> (1) I agree with ESPN.  It's too bad, but college hockey *IS* a regional
>     sport with just local fan interest.  New NHL franchises are helping,
>     but we've a long way to go.  I'd guess that the vast majority of
>     people that subscribe to HOCKEY-L have an experience and are fans of
>     ONE TEAM.  Those that don't care to get past that leave quickly.
>     But a significant number of all of us gain an appreciation and
>     interest in our league and in other teams and other leagues.  Is
>     HOCKEY-L simply a collection of hockey nuts or does the game have an
>     appeal that can transcend the local team if we somehow market it
>     properly?

I find it hard to agree that college hockey is just a regional game with only
local fan support.  True, I did have a college hockey experience and am a fan
of one team but it is far from local.  I now live in the Boston area and
I strongly support St. Lawrence hockey.  I go to some of their away games -
both conference and non-conference - in 5 or more states.  When I lived in
North Carolina I still found ways to follow the Saints.  This is far from
*local* interest.  I do not think that I am the only college alum and hockey
fan who is willing to go out of their way to see a game.  It seems to me that
there must be others who no longer live withing 5 miles of their college team
who would love to see more hockey on the TV.  But perhaps I just support the
idea that HOCKEY-L is a collection of hockey nuts.

I think that ESPN is being rather short sighted.  I find it hard to believe
that college basketball has always drawn such large TV audiences.  I don't
recall the "Road to the Final Four" as being such a grand production back in
the '70's or early '80's.  I think TV coverage has made it the phenonmenon
that it is today.  Can't ESPN see that there is room for college hockey and
audiences will catch on?  This is the channel that showed us hours and hours
of Australian Rules Football.

I have really enjoyed reading about the individual college's hockey award
banquets.  Is there anyone out there who can give information of SLU's hockey
awards?  or any other ECAC team not previously done?  Thanks.

Sara
SLU '77