Sender:
From:
Reed H Munson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 21:06:14 -0600
FINALLY!!!!! Someone thinking beyond the limits of average television
sports coverage.

Instant replays in college hockey could be very easy to implement. Here's
how I would do it:

1: A camera shooting straight down on the goal line from above.
2: A camera shooting down the goal line from a 45 degree angle from above.
3: A camera shooting straight down on each blue lines.

With these cameras installed at the optimum angles a replay judge could
review goals, player in the crease calls, offside calls and icing calls.

I don't think arenas would have to invest in super-expensive cameras, but
it would probably be somewhat expensive. The cost would be worth it,
however, when blown calls and game-affecting errors are reduced. Sure,
there are probably going to be times when the camera angle won't catch
the  play, but I feel such a system could work most of the time.

Reed