Sender:
From:
Douglas Slauson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 01:48:31 CST
    Hi, this is my first post to the list, what better way to start
than complain about the pairings. ;)

    Seriously, though, I'm glad the NCAA has gone to a formula based
(RPI) system for determining the pairings; I think it will eliminate
much of the bias that plagued earlier seedings.  Yeah, I admit it, I
LOVED to bash the eastern teams... sorry, must be some primal
instinct of mine.

    OK, on to the gripe at hand... and this is due to extreme bias on
my part, so feel free to tell me I'm off my rocker.

    Wisconsin finishes _2nd_ in the WCHA regular season standings, and
_WINS_ the WCHA tournament.

    Minnesota finishes _4th_ in the WCHA regular season standings,
and _THIRD_ in the WCHA tournament.

    Yet Minnesota gets the _3rd_ seed in the west, while Wisconsin
gets the _4th_ seed in the west.

    Somehow, I find it difficult to believe that strength of schedule
and overall winning percentage could make up for disparities like
that.  Then again, UW did only play CC three times, and I'm assuming
UM played CC five times, which could account for a big disparity in
SOS.  I guess I'm not as familiar with UM's non conference shedule,
also.

    So anyone have any thoughts on this?  I'm interested in hearing
them.  I guess I should be happy in the thought that the WCHA is
sending 4 teams to the tournament, and that the WEST has 7 teams to
the EAST's 5! :)  Shoot, there could even be three WCHA teams in the
final four! (Yeah, I know that's really stretching it) ;)

    Douglas
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
 I the one you sentenced Penance unabsolved
 Answer me save my will have you forgotten me
oooooooooooo [log in to unmask] oooooooooooo