Sender:
From:
Reed H Munson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 1995 11:45:03 -0600
I'm sure this topic has been addressed in the past, but I'm interested in
learning if the instant replay has ever been considered in college hockey.

Here's my idea. If a coach feels a bad call has been made or a call
missed, the coach can request an instant replay. If the instant replay
proves that the coach was justified in his protest the call is recalled.
If the instant replay proves that the ref was correct a bench penalty is
called against the contesting coach for delay of game.

Is this a totally hare-brained idea or does it have merit? Any one who
knows me probably can guess my motive. In the tying goal in the U of M/CC
game on Friday night the CC players were off-sides. If there were an
instant replay rule the U of M coach could have contested this missed call.

An instant replay rule might make games too long or cause the officiating
to become even worse, as it did in the NFL when they had the instant
replay. But I feel if there is a significant risk to requesting an
instant replay, coaches would be very selective in requesting one. A two
minute or five minute bench penalty (and subsequent penalty kill) would
make a coach think very hard before requesting a replay.

I'm sure there will be people out there who think I'm crazy for
suggesting this, but I feel it's a fair way of counter acting bad calls
or missed calls. But then again, who ever said there should be controls
placed over officiating? The refs givith, the refs taketh away...

Reed