Sender:
From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 11:15:18 CST
Headline: Bonin rises above the pressure
Publish Date: 03/10/1995
Matthew Cross
Staff Reporter

At the beginning of the season, junior center Brian Bonin knew
that the Gophers hockey team would rely on him to do most of the
scoring, and that's a lot of pressure to put on any player.

But Bonin accepted the challenge and ended the regular season as
the WCHA's scoring champion with 53 total points.

He was the first Gophers player to score 30 goals since Corey Millen
in 1987.

But Bonin didn't just become a great scorer.

His high school coach at White Bear Lake, Tom Simpson, knew when
Bonin was still in bantam-level hockey that he would be a special
player.

And when Bonin won Minnesota's Mr. Hockey Award in 1992, which is
given to the best hockey player in the state, all of Simpson's
premonitions began to take form.

``No matter what level he's at, he's been a top-notch player, and at
each level he's improved,'' Simpson said. ``So it doesn't surprise me
that he's doing so well.

``In high school, he was always a leader. He was the first player on
the ice and the last off. He really set an example for the people
around him.''

Part of the reason for Bonin's dedication to hockey is that he is a
perfectionist, which shows in his schoolwork as well as his hockey.

Bonin, a chemistry major, has twice been a U of M Scholar Athlete.

A highly recruited player out of high school, Bonin visited
Maine, Harvard, Wisconsin and Notre Dame.

Bonin said the academic programs and the superior atmosphere at
the University weighed heavily in his decision.

``I like it here,'' Bonin said. ``It's a dream. The guys on the team
and the people around here are different than the other places.''

For Bonin, getting to the college level was a process that began at
an early age.

Bonin said his family has been supportive throughout his hockey
career. They even built a rink in their front yard.

``(My parents and I) have always been real close,'' Bonin said.
``My dad was my coach when I was real young, but he never tells me
what to do because we disagree a lot. (My parents) understand my joys
and they always have a lot of nice things to say.''

Perhaps the most important thing Bonin's parents give him is a key
understanding of his personality.

Bonin is typically upset after losses or when he doesn't play
well, and he respects his parents for knowing how much he cares about
his games and giving him space to vent his anger.

But as one of the country's most consistent scorers, Bonin hasn't had
much to be angry about this season. And he said his teammates have a
lot to do with his success -- especially his roommate and Gophers
co-captain, Justin McHugh.

``Justin scored the goal and I got the assist to (clinch the scoring
championship),'' Bonin said. ``I don't know if he knows it, but that
meant a lot to me.

``(Winning awards) is nice because no one can take that away from me.
But a lot of the credit should go to my teammates. Who cares about
the award if the team can't do anything in the end?''

Even in high school, Bonin was considered one of the best team
players in Minnesota.

``He's the type of individual who is a team player,'' Simpson said.
``His teammates like to play with him because he is a great
playmaker.''

Though Simpson characterizes Bonin as an intense and focused
player, Bonin said he is just the opposite.

``I'm very serious, but I don't like to show it,'' he said. ``I like
to be joking and relaxed.

``On the bench I'm thinking about what I've got to do next shift, but
in the locker room I'm pretty quiet. I'm not always the one to say
we've got to do this or we've got to do that.''

Instead, Bonin turns inward before each Gophers game, listens to
music and sings along as a way to relax. He admits to some pregame
superstitions, but said he usually does not get ready for the game
until after the national anthem is sung.

``I like to have my sticks curved the same way, and I paint them
sometimes, but it's too hard to do things the same way every time,''
Bonin said.

But the Gophers are counting on Bonin's hand-painted sticks to
produce goals for their WCHA playoff run.

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!