Sender:
From:
Matthew M Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 1995 09:47:13 -0600
>From: Steve Manning <[log in to unmask]>
>Attendance: 14,258
>
>Also, the programs were from UMD, with features on UMD players and
>coaches, etc. and adds from Duluth-area advertisers.  I don't think
>
>I wonder if UMD knew what they were getting into when they agreed
>to play at the Bradley Center.  To my recollection, the Badgers have
>
>I'm curious what the Duluth fans/media had to say about this game and

I think the game was successful for UMD.  The UMD Fans were mostly UMD
Alumni in the Milwaukee area, and a few from the Twin Ports. What I liked
about the programs was you could read about another team, and who their
players are, instead of the ones you know so well from reading your own
program every week.

I heard 2 comments about attendance.
1.  Largest Home crowd for UMD ever.  True.
2.  It would have been a sell-out if it was a home game for the Badgers.  I
think this guy had too much miller.  (Yes beer at a college hockey game,
it is Wisconsin)

As far as the game goes the few things that stood out were:

1.  When UMD scored a goal 26 Strobel skated over to the UMD throng of
players and instigated a fight, (which he didn't participate in) but didn't
receive a penalty.  This was a poor display of sportsmanship.

2.  I think both teams played cleanly (except for the fight where 5-9 170lb
Chris Sittlow was fighting 6-3 205 Tompkins of Wisconsin, too bad tompkins
was leading with his face)  It could have gotten ugly as the frustration
grew for UMD but things were pretty well held in check.  And when they
weren't held in check it resulted in Badger goals.  This seems to be a
matter of playing as cleanly as the other team plays.  Neither of these
teams are the angels they seemed to be this weekend.

3.  If you're playing UMD go for the 5 hole.  It's always there.  (I think
5 of 6 goals were 5 holes)  Taras Lendzyk either needs a rest or some
competition.  Next year hopefully Gino Gasparinis son will vie for the
starting spot.

Matt Evans
Minnesota '89
UM-Duluth '92