Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 17:42:47 -0500
As some of you know, my wife Heather was the manager for Plattsburgh
in 1991-92 and was on the Plattsburgh bench when this incident
occurred, so we had a definite interest in seeing the Rescue 911
story.  We didn't know it was on, but fortunately, two different
people called us to tell us as it started and we did not miss much. :-)
This was at least the second time it was on; the first was last season
sometime and we missed it then.  BTW, there was a re-enactment done
during the 1992-93 season when Elmira made its next trip to Plattsburgh.
That must have been very strange.

The Plattsburgh player who delivered the check was (then) senior
captain Steve Ashe, whose brother Tommy is the top defenseman for
Boston College this season and scored the Beanpot-winning goal for the
Eagles last year.  I have had a chance to meet Steve several times
through Heather, and he is a very nice kid.  It is easy to see how, as
Heather always tells me, Steve was really torn up by what happened.
I wonder now whether he was there for the re-enactment, since he had
graduated by then - I could see how it would have been very difficult
for him to be involved in it (not to mention McNamara).  I'll have to
ask Heather.

The story was well done, although I did wish they had at least
mentioned Ashe's reaction and the fact that the Plattsburgh team and
community responded by rallying around McNamara, especially
considering how the two schools are such bitter rivals.  I thought
that the added aspect of how a rival group of people put their
differences (some would say hatred) aside to help one of the opponents'
own, was something that would have added a lot to the story.  But
maybe you have to know a little about the rivalry to understand this.
And the show's focus on his family's reaction and so on was very nice
at any rate.

I did a SEARCH on the HOCKEY-L archives to get the past articles on
this story, and below I have included some for a flashback of sorts.
It is interesting to note how Plattsburgh wore McNamara's number on
their helmets the next week, held a mass at the school's chapel for
him, and so on - I remember Heather being very concerned at the time.
Back then, HOCKEY-L (hockey3 did not exist) posters did their part
in keeping us all updated on the case and wishing the best for Mike.

And as the show said, McNamara was back in uniform for Elmira's first
game the next season.  It is truly a great story that he came back
from such a devastating injury.

On the other hand, for every Mike McNamara who seemingly makes a
miraculous recovery, there is a situation like the awful tragedy with
Mark Messing of Quincy (Mass.) HS, who suddenly suffered a heart
attack and died right after receiving a solid upper-body check in a
game last week.  BU held a moment of silence before their game with BC
on Saturday in the memory of Messing.  My thoughts were that no player
nor his (or her) family should ever have to go through that experience
again, but at the same time, somehow I know it's not the last.  That's
why it is so important to have competent medical personnel on hand at
every game.  (I don't recall whether this was the case last week.)

- mike

(flashback to 1992)