Sender:
From:
Chuck Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 1994 14:06:00 C
On Tues., Nov. 15th, Art Stine wrote:

>not to slight Colorado or any other team with a good GF/GA stat, but I don't
>think these #'s are very meaningful, particularly this early in the season.
>With only a few games played, one or two 'blow-outs' skews this stat. It
>might be more interesting to look at these #'s later in the season...

As I'm sure Charlie will point out, his rankings of teams by points per game
shows how many points per game a team is averaging as far as wins and
losses. . . . .not goals for or goals against.  For instance, a team that has
played four games and is 2-1-1 will have 5 points in the league standings.
Averaging that out over 4 games gives the team a per game average of 1.25
points per game.  I think that it's a very effective way of comparing teams
that have not played an equal amount of games.  Minnesota is at the top of
the WCHA with 13 points and Colorado College is in third with 10 points.
But, CC has played two fewer games.  This way, we can compare their progress
more easily.

Then again, since Charlie is from Colorado, maybe he just wanted to devise a
way to get Colorado College on top of the standings.   :)

Chuck

Chuck Sackett                           Wisconsin Badger Hockey!
[log in to unmask]            NCAA Champs:  1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990!!!
Minneapolis, MN                             ON WISCONSIN!