Sender:
From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 1994 23:10:44 -0500
>Cameron Maxwell writes:
>>This year the NCAA changed the rule for the first coincidential penalty. If
>>there is a coincidential pentaly assesed both teams go 4 on 4, but each
>>coincidential after the first one neither team is penalized for it and they
>>skate four on four.
>
>This is correct, but only if the first set of coincidentals occur
>with the situation 5x5 and no other penalties occur at that stoppage
>of play, and then another set occur at another stoppage with the
>situation 4x4 (or 4x3 or 3x3).  If at one stoppage four players (two
>from each team) are assessed what would be coincidental minors, then
>all cancel and it is still 5x5.

...and if the Moon is aligned with Jupiter, they play 4x4, but if it is
aligned with Mars or Uranus, they play 5x5. (And if it's aligned with Pluto,
the game is stopped, and they proceed immediately to a shootout [HE only])

I don't think they could have dreamt up a more confusing rule if they
tried.

To me, the question should be simple. Either you substitute for coincidental
minors or you don't. This sort of half-measure is just confusing and silly.
Personally, I would not substitute for coincidental minors, but the
decision should be made one way or the other.

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards          Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr Senators (7-5-1 15pts) (CJHL)
Carleton U., Law IV            Owner: Ottawa Polar Bears (WIFFL) (6-2)