Sender:
From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Oct 1994 13:43:50 CDT
This report is from the Gophers Notebook in today's (10/15/94) St. Paul Pioneer
Press.

Senior left wing Justin McHugh and junior center Brian Bonin, the two forwards
who will have to produce if the hockey team is to do well this season, were
sharp in the team's final training camp scrimmage.

Bonin scored two goals and McHugh one in leading the Maroons to a 6-4 victory
over the Golds at Mariucci Arena.  For now, Bonin and McHugh are on the first
line with junior Dave Larson.

"It was good to see McHugh and Bonin step it up.  Their higher level of play was
very evident," coach Doug Woog said.

Two of the freshmen defensemen who will play big roles this season, Jason
Godbout from Hill-Murray and Mike Crowley from Bloomington Jefferson, were among
several other players Woog praised

Each scored a goal in the scrimmage.  In fact, half of the goals scored were by
newcomers, the others by junior transfer defenseman Jay Moser (St. Cloud State
and Park-Cottage Grove), freshman wing Casey Hankinson (Edina) and freshman
transfer wing Will Anderson (St. Cloud State).

"We did a good job of moving the puck.  It's obvious we're using the bigger rink
much better than at this time last year," Woog said.

Senior Jeff Callinan was the only goalie to play the entire scrimmage, and it
appears he will be the starter in the season and Western Collegiate Hockey
Association opener Friday at Minnesota-Duluth.

Woog indicated that he might be more likely to use one goalie this season rather
than alternating them, as he did last season.  That means junior Jeff Moen might
not play nearly as much as he did last season, when he alternated with Callinan.

*  Woog had planned to redshirt Hankinson so Hankinson could give baseball a
try.  But Hankinson has played solidly in camp and his interest seems to be in
playing hockey, so for now he is giving up on playing baseball this school year.
                                            --Gregg Wong, Staff Writer
{end quoted stuff}
The whole notebook is credited "From Staff and News Service Reports", so I don't
know if the whole hockey item is credited to Wong or just the Hankinson thing.
I try to give credit where due, but...

Now my comments (mostly aimed at Gopher fans who know the players, might be
gibberish to those who don't)--
I took a couple notes at the scrimmage, but most of it is covered in the above
article.  Any score of Maroon vs Gold doesn't mean much, what with the numerous
"player trades" that appeared to happen between periods.  The entire
Hankinson-Woog-Fiebelkorn line was apparently "traded" from Maroon to Gold
between the first and second periods.  In addition, that was probably the only
line that remained intact for the whole scrimmage, and I thought they looked
pretty good.  (Last week, Fiebelkorn and Woog teamed with frosh Ryan Kraft to
form an impressive line.)  And I think Bonin scored both of his goals in the
first period, during which time MY notes had him playing on a line with McHugh
and Brent Godbout.  Larson was put on that line at the first intermission.  He
had started on the Gold team's line with Dustin and Bell.  In the second period
Bell and Dustin were teamed with Kraft, and in the third, Bell was with Kraft
and Checco.  So I wouldn't want to make any predictions about who Woog's first
two lines will be based on the lines in the scrimmages!  Sounds kinda like one
of the lines (3rd line???) will have Dan Woog and Jed Fiebelkorn, though.
(Hmmm.  The biggest guy on the team protecting a small guy.  I guess Jed knows
he'd better not let anything happen to his coach's son!  :-)  ;-)  As I said,
though, they've looked good in both scrimmages, so I guess Woog has
justifications other than that for keeping them together. :-) )

I don't know if it means that much that Callinan was the only goalie to play the
whole scrimmage.  He missed almost all of last week's scrimmage and needed to
get some PT in this one.

Also, the score is noted as 6-4, although they played a sudden-death OT period,
which ended after 54 seconds when Nick Checco scored for Gold.  Bonin and McHugh
had both missed excellent chances for Maroon on the first shift of the OT.  We
thought the pace appeared to be higher in the third period, so maybe they had
decided to start that period with a clean slate that then called for the OT.
(???)   Don't know.  I really wasn't keeping track.  Whatever the reason, I
suppose the important thing is that they weren't sucking wind by the third
period on the Olympic-sized sheet!

Oh, yeah, I'm sure enquiring minds want to know.  No fights in this one.  Last
week's combatants, Dan Hendrickson and Jesse Bertogliat, started the scrimmage
on the same line, so I s'pose that helped prevent a rematch.  :-)

On to Duluth to start the regular season next Friday!

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]      1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
                                  1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour!!!
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!