Sender:
From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Sep 1994 23:43:45 EDT
62 applicants were pared to 12 last month and those 12 were asked to
submit a "home video" of themselves.  From those video tapes (2
neglected to provide a tape), it was said that the selection of
finalists was made relatively easy.  Those three finalists were named
about a month ago and have each come to Orono to meet with the selection
committee, faculty/staff, media and community.

The finalists are Doug Woolard, 44, Assoc AD, Washington State, Butch
Worley, 40, Assoc AD for Administration, Texas, and Jack McDonald, 43,
Director of Athletics and Recreation, Denver.  Woolard and Worley were
on campus earlier this month and McDonald visits this Monday and Tuesday
(9/26-27).

HOCKEY-L faithful may recognize Jack McDonald as a long-time active
participant on HOCKEY-L.  Because the other candidates have not been
involved in this group and because many folks in the Orono area consider
Jack the front-runner going into the interviews (all three are strong
candidates), I'll just include a little bio-info on Jack here.

First, though, for the benefit of our Denver readers, I'd like to say
that it is relatively common coaches and administrators to investigate
"personal opportunities".  It doesn't mean they are unhappy or will
leave their current position.  But they are, at least, testing the
waters, as it were.  Often, they can return with new ideas.  In this
case, I've never heard Jack speak anything but well of DU!

(the following are excerpted from articles in the September 1 and 2
Bangor Daily News, with by-lines of Pete Warner and Mike Dowd)...

McDonald, a 43-year-old native of Braintree, Mass., is entering his
fifth year as the director of athletics and recreation at the University
of Denver.  During his tenure, he has already developed a fund-raising
program that tripled gifts to $300,000 and restructured department
operations, including implementation of a compliance process that put a
full-time compliance officer, computerization of team rosters and
student-athletes' academic progress.

McDonald, who earned B.A.  in economics from Boston College in 1973 and
a master's of education degree from Springfield College (1984), has
improved athletic publications, event presentation and travel;
increased corporate sponsorship and broadcast properties;  and improved
athletic facilities at Denver.

As an undergrad at BC, McDonald captained two Eagle cross country and
track teams and claimed three New England championships in the mile.  He
coached the successful men's and women's track and cross country teams
at BC from 1978 to 1987.

He served as an assistant AD at BC before going to Division II Denver in
1990.

"Maine has hit a little bump in the road, but that's solvable," said
McDonald.  "It's going to bottom out sooner or later.  There's a lot of
opportunity there.  I know a lot of the people there at Maine and
they're good people."

"Clearly, from a guy 2000 miles away, it's home," said McDonald.  "I
would love to get back to New England.  I've always thought the
University of Maine was a great institution."

"Am I going to stay at Maine forever?  I don't know.  Is Jack McDonald
going to run away after a year or two?  No way," he said.

Only at the University of Denver, home of UM finalist John McDonald for
the past four years, has all been quiet on the NCAA front.  The quiet
may well be due to McDonald setting up Denver's compliance operation.
He is a computer whiz, among other things.

Since 1983 Maine has had five presidents and is working on its fifth AD.

What Maine needs now more than ever is stability.

(end of BDN quotes).

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]

LISTSERV Gem: INFO
Use the INFO command to learn general information about a LISTSERV
mailing list.  For example, INFO HOCKEY-L returns some general
information about the setup of the HOCKEY-L list.

For more information, send the command HELP to [log in to unmask]