Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 1994 08:28:00 EDT
I'll throw my copper trinkets into the ring...

I recommend the Drop the Puck Yearbook, which is likely already out
now.  I have purchased all of the previous issues [I believe this is the
fourth year], and they are definitely worth having.  They include team
rosters and schedules for all tourney eligible D-I teams, including indies.
They also have a short preview of each team and results/stats from
the previous season.  If I had a complaint about the Yearbook it would
be that they publish it so early they often include players that have
skipped their remaining eligibility and turned pro.  No, I do not expect
them to be touting LSSU's Blaine Lacher as an All-American in 1994-95,
but I wouldn't be surprised to see Pomichter [BU] and Oates [Miami]
mentioned in the previews.  Don't look for any McKersie news in it.  I
could be wrong this season, but this has been the past experience.  I
still recommend purchasing it.  For $5.00 or so, you can't go wrong.

As for Drop the Puck's Weekly Update...I have the opposite view.
Don't spend the money.  There is very little their to begin with, and much
less that cannot be found on Hockey-L.  It's certainly not worth the
annual expense.  I won't go into all of the complaints I have with this,
but here are two.  [A] They *seem* to rely heavily on student journalists.
I noticed last season that one of the reporters from THE MICHIGAN DAILY
[Ann Arbor] was doing LOTS of the writing for DtP.  Frankly, I could
probably come up with two dozen Hockey-L'ers from the CCHA area
that know more about college hockey.  [B] More importantly, in my
opinion, the information is OFTEN wrong.  I never saw one issue that
didn't have statistical errors in it.  The stats were just wrong...it's that
simple.  DtP was also involved with the WCHA All-Conference snafu
last season...where every publication reported a different team.
Honestly, I don't remember if DtP got it right or not...but I don't *think*
they did.  Regardless, this is an honest mistake because someone
obviously passed along the wrong info on the WCHA team.  But,
all of the stat errors are REALLY annoying.

As Keith mentioned, College Hockey Journal was much better.
Unfortunately, CHJ folded. :-(  [And DtP DID step in and service CHJ
subscribers for the remainder of the season.  Thumbs up to that.]

US College Hockey Magazine [formerly College Hockey Magazine]
is also up and running again.  As Mike mentioned, USCHM is basically
all features as opposed to stats/standings...so the material isn't nearly
as time sensitive.  I really enjoyed USCHM last season and highly
recommend it.  But, realize what you are getting.  Don't buy it expecting
lots of numbers.

I've been lax on putting together the "full" publications list, but I will
have it done and available via the archive before the beginning of
the season.

Lastly, add me to the list that think Will McDonough's best service to
college hockey would be to ignore it.  I've written to the Globe
complaining about McDonough's ignorance and factual errors,
but I've never received a reply.  So much for quality.

  John Haeussler
  Univ of Michigan

P.S. Hopefully, DtP will produce a better weekly publication this season.
Seeing CHJ, I know that it's possible...and the niche is there to fill.  DtP
seems to have a more stable base of advertisers, so I would think they
could put more money and effort into the weekly and keep it profitable.
I'll gladly tout them if they improve.