Sender:
From:
Jon Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 1994 13:06:47 EST
Text item: Text_1

     Having been out of town (and off-line) for the last week or so I
     missed the torrent of messages real-time.....but killed the better
     part of an hour catching up.

     Please accept the following late night ramblings for what they are:

     *  I'm sorry to see Buddy go because he's done a very good
     job......but it is best that he is going.  Unlike his withdrawal from
     previous searches at NU and UMass-Amherst, he was obviously in until
     the bitter end pursuing BC and BG.  Once that happens with a head
     coach (as opposed to an assistant looking to move up), it is very
     difficult to recruit and maintain players.....why should they believe
     the coach will stay?

     *  Before we cry in our beer, soft drinks, etc. too much, let us not
     forget that the Engineers under Buddy never won a regular season or
     playoff ECAC title.

     *  I don't believe the decision on ECAC vs. HE was tied to Buddy
     staying.  I spoke with someone very close to the situation not long
     ago who never mentioned this as a factor and, in fact, said some
     things implying even Buddy might not be certain of the best course of
     action.   I think it is a matter of deciding which move is in the
     long-term best interests of the school.  Will rivalries be better or
     worse?  Which league offers RPI the best chance of on-ice success (note:
     it doesn't matter how good or bad your league is.....a winning team
     leads to better atmosphere, PR, alumni support, etc.)?  How much is
     the tie-in with academically high-profile schools such as the Ivies
     really worth?  Not an easy decision so why rush it?

     *  I've never even met Dan Fridgen but I'll be disappointed if he
     doesn't get serious consideration.  Rather than punish him as a "left
     over" I'd be inclined to reward six years of service.....he pre-dates
     Buddy by a year.  Granted, long time service as an assistant in a
     successful program doesn't guarantee success as a head coach (see
     Cedorchuck, Steve in your hockey almanac for an example).....it is one
     indicator.  Other than one year as a head coach at the Div. II level,
     Buddy Powers' experience level prior to RPI was similar to Fridgen's.

     *  Good luck to Buddy and BG (but the latter better hope Jack Parker
     doesn't step aside any time soon).

     Jon

     P.S. Not to tease, but I know some other things about the ECAC/HE
     decision which I can't share.  Suffice it to say there are more issues
     than have been discussed on H-L.

     Jon Greene
     Cheyenne Software
     Roslyn Heights, NY