Sender:
From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 1994 18:11:47 -0400
After observing college hockey for four years, I would have to opine that
I think LSSU coach Jeff Jackson is the best coach in college hockey. I'm
sure fans of Michigan, Maine and BU might take issue with it and I certainly
respect the coaching abilities of Messrs. Berenson, Walsh and Parker, but
I think Jackson is the best.

First off, Jackson seems to rarely get the top recruits. The Kariyas, the
Ryan Sittlers, etc seem to end up elsewhere. LSSU rarely has the most
talented team in the country. But why is it that they've made it to three
consecutive national finals and won two national titles in Jackson's 4
years?

Jackson is able to get the players to play his system. Playing under Jackson
requires that one perhaps sacrifices some individual glory for team success.
Jackson does a masterful job of getting the players, especially the more
talented ones, to put aside their egos and play good solid two way hockey.
While LSSU hockey may not produce a lot of individual superstars, Jackson's
players leave Sault Ste-Marie as good all-around two way players. Short
of exceptional skill, those are the types of players who make good
professionals.

While Jackson's Lakers might not always be #1 at the end of the regular
season (although he has the highest winning % of any active coach), there's
no way I'll bet against LSSU in any postseason game. Even when they had a
relatively subpar regular season (like this year), Jackson is always able to
get them up for postseason games. I believe that all 3 NCAA games Jackson
has lost (Maine last year and twice to Clarkson in the 91 quarterfinals)
have all been by one goal (but don't quote me on that).

My hat's off to Coach Jackson.

Bri Farenell        [log in to unmask]    Clarkson Univ. '95
Adirondack Red Wings, AHL Calder Cup Champions: '81  '86  '89  '92
The Drive for Five (Calder Cup titles)-----1993-94 Northern Division Champs
Kevin Hodson for Garrett and Bastien Trophies! Jason York for the Shore Plaque!
Go Erin Whitten and USA Women's Hockey in the 1994 World Championships!