Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 1994 23:34:56 EDT
>Dave O'Hara writes:
>>The entire BU team and coaching staff left the ice immediately after
>>receiving their runner-up awards.  I think they should have remained on
>>the ice to congratulate the Lakers during their awards ceremony.  I also
>>noticed the fans in the BU section left before Lake Superior received
>>their awards.
>
>I did not recall, but I heard a number of people saying that LSSU did
>the same thing last season when Maine beat them.

I'm pretty sure they did.  And when you get right down to it, there really
isn't that much of a reason for the runner-up team to hang around and watch
the winners receive their awards, sportsmanship or no.  The Terriers
presumably had ample opportunity to offer congratulations to the Lakers
during the post-game handshake (assuming there was one).  My own opinion is
that the runners-up should do the handshake, get their awards, bask in the
appreciative applause of their fans for a while -- and then head off,
letting the winners have the ice to themselves.  They've earned the spot-
light.

Last year, Maine had quite a raucous victory skate after they had gotten
their awards.  If Lake Superior had hung around during the Maine awards
ceremony, they would have wound up getting in the way, and they probably
would have been accused of trying to horn in on the Black Bears' cele-
bration.

As far as the fans of the runner-up team leaving, well, perhaps they should
be a bit nicer and stick around to hail the champions, but it's easy to
understand why they might rather not.
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and '94 (.5)            |  [log in to unmask]
LET'S GO RED!!

(I'm number two -- I try harder)