Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 1994 01:23:11 -0500
Charlie Masenas writes:
>A quote from today's Burlington Free Press sports writer Ted Ryan- "Although
>RPI is a noted engineering school, it also has a management school where the
>school could place more hockey players if it did not have to deal with the
>academic index.  Gilligan (UVM's hockey coach) said the absence of an
>academic index would not be beneficial to UVM 'because I don't think kids
>would be successful academically if we took lower kids.'  UVM does not have
>an equivalent program of RPI's management course."

Maybe Ted should have taken a look at RPI and Vermont's media guides.
The 1992-93 RPI guide (don't have 93-94, but most of the team is the
same) shows 28 players.  17 were management majors, 9 were in
engineering/computer science/biology, and 2 were undecided.  So most
of the RPI team is already in the Management program, although there
are more engineers/scientists today than there were in 1985-86 when
only one player was in that type of program.  Either way, the Mgmt
major at RPI is certainly not an easy one, as I found out from my
roommates that year.

The 1993-94 Vermont guide shows 27 players.  8 are business/management
majors, 3 are undecided/arts & sciences (that's how it was listed),
and 0 are in engineering/computer science/biology/mathematics/physics/etc.
The other 16 have majors varying from English and History to Physical
Education, Recreation Management, and Nutritional Sciences.  I'm
certainly not raising any eyebrows about those majors, but I think if
Ted considers the RPI Mgmt degree to be for "lower kids", he would
have a hard time arguing that Vermont does not have something
equivalent.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<< Color Voice of the (16-17-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>