Sender:
From:
Scott Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 1994 12:52:22 -0800
On Tue, 22 Feb 1994, John H. Hughes wrote:

> Scott Williams <[log in to unmask]> says:
> > Also, if there is a close play on a steal
> > of second in the 9th inning by a team that is up by sereral runs, he will
> > be out, even if he was safe (assuming a _very_ close play).
>
> this is outrageous!  If the play was made, you're out, if not, you're safe. If
> it's a tie then maybe there is some margin for the score to impact the call,
> but I don't think you would ever get a real umpire to make that statement as
> you did.

I should clarify something.  This comment was made based on experiences
early in my umpiring career, when I started umping games with little
kids.  I certainly did not mean for this to sound like I intentionally
made the wrong call, but I remember the first game in which I called
balls and strikes, the score was 40-4.  Many other games I did early in
my umping days had similar scores.  In those situations, in part to avoid
humiliating kids who have to go home and tell dad they lost by 36 runs,
I may have made the wrong call, but not to ruin the game of baseball.
Now that I am umpiring high school and semi-pro games in the Seattle
area, I call everything exactly as I see it.  The players I am
dealing with now are old enough to handle the off days, when they lose by a
couple dozen.

> BTW: Scott, please don't Ref any games I am playing in!!

First of all, I don't mean to sound like I am bragging, but...
When it comes to umping baseball games I am very good.  For someone who
just turned 20 and has six years of umping experience I am very good. I
started umping varsity high school games when most of the plyers were
older than me.  I was at the time the youngest member of an umpiring
association which did Jr. high games up to Pac-10 intercollegiate games
for the University of Washington.  I have fellow umpires who double me in
age and have umpired more games than I, who call me for help on the
rules.  Rarely do I leave a game without being told by fellow umpires,
coaches, players, parents, and my supervisors that I have done a good job
and they appreciate my hard work and hustle.  I have never officiated a
hockey game and am fairly new to the world of hockey, so maybe I have no
right to comment on hockey rules and officiating.  But, when it comes to
baseball, I know my stuff and I know it very well.  If you were playing a
baseball game, you would be damn lucky to have me as an umpire.  Also,
correct me if I am wrong, but you have never been an official in an
organized sports league, have you?

Scott Williams